Monday 20 May 2013

It seems like you just can't beat a mouthful of insects!

Although the weather doesn't feel like it, it is May - the season of blooming flowers and new life. Well, despite the March-like temperatures it seems that nature is still carrying out plan A.
Down at Llandulas (again!) this afternoon, all the birds were chasing after insects - even the ones which you think of as seed-eaters.

Shortly after I arrived something caught my eye. In the distance, downstream, four little blobs stood out on a tiny island in the water. Grey Wagtail chicks! I've been watching these Wagtails for a few weeks now and it seems the parents have now got some extra mouths to feed.








After a short while I decided to leave them in peace. One of the birds was telling me off from behind me and I took the hint. The only thing was that the hint wasn't aimed at me. As I turned around a territorial battle started with the resident bird seeing another off the patch in no uncertain terms.

Other birds too were out "shopping" for food. Surprisingly there seemed to be good pickings to be had.

Robin

Wren 


Nuthatch

 and even the Chaffinches were fly-catching, performing aerobatics after their prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment